Friday, November 30, 2012

The Beginning || Film Friday


This is the story of the beginning of my photographic journey. It all began with a Canon AE-1 and a million rolls of 35mm film. Six years and countless rolls. My beloved Canon took me everywhere: Denmark, North Carolina, Wisconsin. I began as a newbie and finished with adoration for the art.


At the age of 12, I ventured to Denmark and brought several rolls of film, not really knowing what to expect or to do with this "ancient" camera. Soon, I was comfortable with the foreign qualities and loving the click of the shutter.


This was my first experience with actually pursuing photography. I wouldn't have it any other way. Learning to love the struggle. Sometimes I would be so excited about a roll of film, thinking it would be absolutely brilliant...and my exposures were developed, I would be disappointed. It's the beauty of the mystery. With film, there isn't instant gratification. It's a game of patience and testing and learning. It's a thrilling game.

Beginning with film, I always had a sense of urgency to take a photograph, bring 4 backup rolls of film with "just in case". My days were centered around "what am I going to photograph today, when am I going to get this film developed, how is this film going to turn out?"I was learning and I hungered for photography.


I still hunger for photography. I still love this game. But now, I have instant gratification, I have more than one chance to capture, and more than 24 exposures to take. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not really sure. I miss the urgency and the patience and the waiting game. But this is a new game and I love it just as much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...