Friday, February 15, 2013

Love Does || Recently Read

I used to read a lot. Like, 5 books a month A LOT. Then life happened and it can take me 3 months to get through one book. So when I got through Love Does in 2 months, it was a miracle. I'm a big fan of Don Miller. I've read all of his books. There's just something about him. So, when I heard that Don Miller wrote the forward to Love Does and Bob Goff is pretty cool too, I was in!

Love Does, similar to Don Miller's books, is a memoir, a journey & a "do something" kind of book. Bob doesn't merely "study" Jesus in the Word through Bible study, he has Bible doings. The way his mind works is whimsical. Bob lives a better life, a bigger life with a greater love.

One of my favorite stories from the book was in the chapter called Wow, What a Hit! Bob talks about how he played n a Little League baseball team in elementary school. He wasn't the greatest player and always closed his eyes when he swung the bat. Somehow, his team miraculously got to the playoffs. He was up to bat and he actually got a home run! A little while later, he got a card from his coach. The card said "You are the apple of my eye. Wow...What a hit, Bob! You're a real ball player. Love, Coach." Bob writes that this is how Jesus sees us. "...His name for us is His beloved. He hopes that we'll believe Him like I came to believe what the coach said about me. He hopes we'll start to see ourselves as His beloved rather than think of all the reasons that we aren't."

How fitting...I finished this book the day before Valentine's Day. Honestly, I learned a lot about love, life, and living. Love isn't just a word. It's an action. Love is serving, helping, getting out of your comfort zone, denying yourself and what you want. Most of all love is loving someone because. Not to make them "better" or what you think they should be. But just to love them. Because love does.

I highly recommend this book. It's challenged me and changed me.

Bob Goff is a really cool guy. Check him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...