Thursday, February 21, 2013

Intentional Adventure || Personal


Yesterday I had an hour to kill. My days are a little crazy this spring so having an hour to kill is a miracle of sorts. Within that hour I had some thinking time. So as crazy as it was to go for a walk in the trails in 19 degrees, I did it. And it was beautiful. 

I admit I get in the habit of doing the daily grind. I don't live each day as if it's my last and I'm not always full of joy everyday when I wake up. Being in class 9 hours everyday and having to go to work after is not my favorite thing. But doing the daily grind is easy because there's no question. It's just what you do. Get up, drink the coffee, learn, grow. But what if it doesn't have to be that way? What if you could pack your bags and go halfway across the world for a few months and do something that changes the world? What if you really did what you born to do? I don't know about you, but I don't feel like I was born to work retail. Maybe I'm naive and silly, but why not? 

Maybe there's an orphanage in Haiti that needs some volunteers. Maybe there's a single-mom in the inner city that could use a baby sitter. Maybe there's a child who hasn't eaten in days and would really love a warm meal. There are 27 million people trapped in slavery. And maybe you could help.

When we look beyond ourselves, we realize how corrupt our perspective is. Even those of us who are not considered wealthy by America's standard are among the wealthiest people who have ever existed in all of history. Step outside of your walls. God is a father to the fatherless. But we are His hands and feet. We are a part of His body. For Him to truly be a Father to the fatherless, He must be one through us. Ask God to show you where to start.

I don't want to do anything in this life without intention. This life is all about adventure and intention. Make your adventure beautiful, bursting with intention to change the world. 

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, "thus saith the Lord!"
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...